Dani Pedrosa rocketed to the top of the timesheet on day 2 of MotoGP testing at Sepang, Malaysia. The Spaniard, using Honda’s 2011 engine, turned in a 2′ 0.770″ time on his fourth lap of the day that no one else could touch. Casey Stoner, who posted today’s second best time, was a full 0.664″ adrift of his Repsol Honda team-mate. Clearly Honda is doing something right, as Ben Spies, in third spot, was the only non-Honda rider to crack today’s top six. Repsol Honda’s Andrea Dovizioso lapped just .004″ slower than the American factory Yamaha rider, while San Carlo Honda Gresini team-mates Marco Simoncelli and Hiroshi Aoyama finished fifth and sixth respectively.
Meanwhile Ducati continued to struggle, with Nicky Hayden placing eleventh and the still ailing Valentino Rossi taking thirteenth spot.
Defending champion Jorge Lorenzo, who says he focussed on testing new components today rather than posting the top speed, finished the session in seventh.
MotoGP Sepang Test times Day 2 Results
1. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team 2.00.770
2. Casey Stoner AUS Repsol Honda Team 2.01.434
3. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Factory Racing 2.01.508
4. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Repsol Honda Team 2.01.512
5. Marco Simoncelli ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini 2.01.522
6. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini 2.01.534
7. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing 2.01.563
8. Alvaro Bautista ESP Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2.01.687
9. Colin Edwards USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2.01.722
10. Hector Barbera ESP Aspar Team 2.02.093
11. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Team 2.02.379
12. Randy de Puniet FRA Pramac Racing Team 2.02.426
13. Valentino Rossi ITA Ducati Team 2.02.597
14. Kosuke Akiyoshi JPN Honda Test Rider 2.02.619
15. Cal Crutchlow GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2.03.032
16. Loris Capirossi ITA Pramac Racing Team 2.03.047
17. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing 2.03.466
19. Toni Elias ESP LCR Honda MotoGP 2.04.026